I"ve also seen "out-of-order" packets get discarded (essentially dropped); if fragmentation is clean and in correct order, L2TPv3 as implemeted by Cisco seems to work better; we've open a case with Cisco about this re: VTP traffic and their response essentially was to do nothing about it and not use VTP (so we are now using VTP transparent mode with no VTP updates) and thus no VTP being transmitted over the l2tpv3 pseudowire.

I've been meaning to do pseudowire testing using AToM/EoMPLS tunnled inside of GRE to see if this works better; Cisco TAC seems to be more recpetive in supporting MPLS issues rather than L2TPv3 over native IP.

Let me know if you run into different conclusions as I've been struggling with this issue for a few years now.

Good luck.

Regards,
Ge Moua | Email: [email protected]

Network Design Engineer
University of Minnesota | Networking & Telecommunications Services



Ge Moua wrote:
Yep, ran into that to; on the upstream layer-3 hop from hosts do something like "tcp-mss adjust 1300" which will ensure tcp packets haver enough head-room for l2tpv3 headers. With UDP traffic, this get more tricky; I haven't done this yet but one can adjust max segment size on end-station hosts to something like 1300 (which of course would affect all protocol types); there are open source tools to do this, but downside is that all the end-station hosts need to touched for consistency; i suppose I'm too lazy : - (

Regards,
Ge Moua | Email: [email protected]

Network Design Engineer
University of Minnesota | Networking & Telecommunications Services



Paul Stewart wrote:
How did you deal with MTU issues from l2tpv3? In our testing we would see packets drop instead of fragmenting where they should... I've been meaning to followup on this as we have some great l2tpv3 deployments waiting in the
wings...

Paul


-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Ge Moua
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2009 10:44 AM
To: Ziv Leyes
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] L2TPv3 and VLANs


 > How do I make this happen on the HQ router?

Each l2tp tunnel will have its own vc:  "sh l2tun all"

You obviously have thoughts this all out as your logic for how it will and should work is sound.

We are doing a very similar setup over here at the UofMn and this is working well for us.


Regards,
Ge Moua | Email: [email protected]

Network Design Engineer
University of Minnesota | Networking & Telecommunications Services



Ziv Leyes wrote:
Hi,
I'm trying to make sure this following scenario can work.
3 remote sites, one is the HQ which has a switch that handles 2 vlans,
let's say vlan 10 and vlan 20.
The other two branches needs to be connected to the HQ and have a flat LAN
between them and the HQ, but each branch to it's own vlan, branch 1 to vlan
10 and branch 2 to vlan 20. They must NOT see each other's traffic.
Every site has a switch and a router (C2801 I think) Is it possible to do?
If yes, then I was thinking about L2TPv3, but in this case I'd need to
make two different xconnections between HQ-->Branch 1 and HQ-->Branch 2.
How do I make this happen on the HQ router? I was thinking to bring the
vlans via a trunk from the switch and then finishing them on sub-interfaces
with dot1q and then xconnecting the sob-interface to each l2tp tunnel to
each respective branch. Is it correct or there is a better way?
Will this work?

Thanks in advance for your help
Ziv


****************************************************************************
********
This footnote confirms that this email message has been scanned by
PineApp Mail-SeCure for the presence of malicious code, vandals & computer
viruses.
****************************************************************************
********
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/


_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to