Jay Hennigan wrote:
What the #$^&$...@# is going on with Cisco's download site? It completely hangs Firefox with some shopping cart java thing. And this is downright scary: http://www.west.net/~jay/images/cisco-wants-root.png

Enhanced downloads, brought to you by the same people who brought us enhanced interrogation?

Is there a workaround?  What happened to our friend kobayashi ?

Yes, there is a workaround. Put a windows server somewhere with good bandwidth, use modern browsers and java to download the file, place it into a TFTP/FTP/HTTP served up from there and now you are good to go, with just this short little detour.

There are some concepts that web monkeys dont grasp very well, such as:

If it aint broke, dont fix it.
Throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
Reinventing the wheel, badly.

It is not cisco specific, but they do seem to go through this every couple years. Half of google searches for cisco documentation land you on a cisco page that doesnt exist anymore and doesnt redirect anywhere you want to go.

This wouldnt be such a problem if folks in the know could use nice standardized methods such as FTP or lynx compatible HTTP to download what they want, regardless of which download method of the day is currently in effect.

As it happens, I would venture to say that most utilizations of cisco downloads are by people in the know.

This bulk/batch downloader does have its upsides, but without any decent alternative readily available, you are stuck with its considerable downsides, some of which can be coded around and some which just plain cant.

Perhaps cisco is trying to address a perceived problem with getting people who may not be in the know to do security updates.

I would suggest that they focus on methods that would allow a download and upgrade direct from the console of the equipment in question.

Perhaps the larger issue is the terminology shift - "Shopping Cart" implies purchasing.

Joe