On 02/10/2009 15:24, Zoe O'Connell wrote:
It's worth noting that while the restriction on optics in general is just annoying, the DOM restrictions do seem to be there for a reason: I have a number of non-Cisco optics reporting DOM data that's obviously incorrect, so I don't trust anything that's non-Cisco. Sadly, on platforms where it will show you DOM from any SFP, there's no obvious indication if it's a Cisco or third party optic.
"show idprom interface gig x/y" should give you a pretty good idea of what's plugged into the box (on a 65k).
Yes, there are very poor quality transceivers out there. Cisco appears to re-sell Finisar and Opnext, which would suggest that these companies produce good quality kit.
I'm personally not convinced that restricting equipment to use own-brand transceivers does much more than create a lucrative grey market for sophisticated knock-offs. I've also heard the incorrect DOM readings line being trotted out before, but I'm not convinced by it: if you buy cheap-ass equipment, you should expect high mileage variation.
Nick _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
