On Sat, Oct 03, 2009 at 08:12:47PM -0700, Kevin Graham wrote: > > Also, bear in mind that not all c65k ports support reading DDM info from > > SFPs. > > > SUP720 cards will, as will later hardware revisions of the 6724sfp blades. > > Earlier hardware revisions won't. > > Yeah. I really wish this had gone under a new part number (WS-X6724A-SFP?). > It hasn't happened yet, but I dread having to RMA one of our HW rev >= 3.0 > cards.
Well, DOM on 6724-SFP is one of the "policy-banned" features I'm afraid. For many years, multiple customers tried several times to get it working. This topic was also mentioned on various meetings with Cisco, for example in 2007 I gave the following presentation on European NREN workshop: http://md.bts.sk/wien2007-dom.pdf In 2008, the broken I2C bus was fixed on 6724-SFP linecards (HW rev 3.0) and everyone hoped the problem is over. But instead of announcing DOM support on these cards, new IOS "enhancements" were put into SXI train, which aim to disable this functionality in software: #sh inte g 3/1 tra Module 3 doesn't support DOM #sh inte tra supported-modules Mod DOM support ---- -------------- 3 Not Applicable I really fail to undestand, why someone at Cisco tries to make our work harder and disables highly useful features for no reason. I suppose it's just a belief that customers will buy ES20 modules instead, but given that wirespeed 1RU switches with 10G uplinks and 24 SFP downlinks are available from multiple vendors at reasonable prices, this assumption fails miserably. With kind regards, -------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---- ---- ---- Marian Ďurkovič network manager ---- ---- ---- ---- Slovak Technical University Tel: +421 2 571 041 81 ---- ---- Computer Centre, Nám. Slobody 17 Fax: +421 2 524 94 351 ---- ---- 812 43 Bratislava, Slovak Republic E-mail/sip: [email protected] ---- ---- ---- -------------------------------------------------------------------------- _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
