On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 12:44 +0100, Peter Rathlev wrote: > On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 19:57 +0900, Erik Fairbanks wrote: > > On Sun, 2009-12-13 at 11:53 -0500, Vincent C Jones wrote: > > > "Ping based routing" may do the job if your user application can > > > tolerate changing public IP addresses. > > > > Out of curiosity, what is ping based routing? > > I think Vincent means static routing with RTR/IP SLA tracking to > invalidate a route if the next hop is unreachable. Cisco calls it > "Reliable Static Routing Backup Using Object Tracking". > > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/12_3x/12_3xe/feature/guide/dbackupx.html
Correct. It has been marketed under a variety of names over the years by Cisco and others. DISCLAIMER: I have not had a client with a need for this in years, but I recommend testing carefully before putting any solution into production. The last time I took serious look at using ping based routing (back when Cisco had it under the "Response Time Recorder" umbrella) I found wide variations in reliability and robustness between implementations, including between releases from the same vendor, and we gave up on the idea. -- Dr. Vincent C. Jones, PE Networking Unlimited, Inc. Phone: +1 201 568-7810 [email protected] _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
