Ah that's a good idea, I can give that a shot.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Walter Keen" <walter.k...@rainierconnect.net>
To: "Scott Granados" <gsgrana...@comcast.net>
Cc: <cisco-nsp@puck.nether.net>
Sent: Monday, January 25, 2010 3:27 PM
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Self rebooting pix?

We had a similar problem with a PIX-525 (or was it the 520....) with 6.3, We assumed it was hardware issues and replaced it, but if you have a computer you can stick on the console port, and have it's terminal program log everything to a file, it may provide more information.

Scott Granados wrote:
Hi All,
I'm having a strange problem and not much diagnostic output so maybe I can get some pointers as to what to look at next.

I have a Pix 501 with a non restrictive license that I'm using as a general firewall and nat device. There's a 10 megabit ethernet connection handing a statically routed Internet feed on the WAN side and a 100 megabit fast E which connects to a core switch. We nat probably about 50 - 100 users at a time and the throughput over the public pathway is less than 8 megabits for the most part and generally stays around 3 - 5. The output of show cpu usage shows a usage of between 10 and 20 percent with lows of 4% and highs around 25. Randomly through out the day the connection / device will hang, the switch it's attached to shows the ethernet port go down and come back up a few times then packets start to flow again. After the most recent event I did a show ver on the Pix and saw that the uptime was less than 2 minutes. After each drop this counter returns to 0 which tells me the Pix is rebooting for some reason. Show log doesn't yield anything interesting and the syslog server that captures the log output doesn't have any messages around the time of the outages either. Total traffic disruption lasts for approximately 30 seconds. The time of day is random and it does not seem to increase in frequency with bursts in traffic. I've obviously checked and insure that the power cables are firmly attached and the network cables are securely attached as well. What other things should I try? Are there any other show commands that might yield some more clues? Has anyone else experienced this. The software rev is 6.3.

Thanks
Scott

Walter Keen
Network Technician