I would stay far far away from the 2 port FE port adapters, no matter what they say on them.

I would stick with VIP2-50 (or higher) with 128DRAM and only port adapters that work well in there. Only VIP2-50 (or better) and RSP in the chassis. Nothing else.

Use a cheap catalyst switch like the 2950 or 3524XL and port-channels. The router is cabled only to the switch. Everything is cabled only to the switch. Use vlans for fanout.

This should be relatively stable for the rsp platform and give you the best throughput and flexibility. Also it is dirt cheap.

If you are shopping the used market, you may be better off with the 7200 series. The 7500 isnt worth the juice it sucks and even when it was supported, it was an abysmal experience.

Joe

Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
Gert Doering wrote:
I've read in the list archive of people complaining about the
performance of the /ISL port adapters. I've been using a number
PA-FE-TX/ISL for years without trouble. However, now I need to upgrade
to PA-2FE port adapters to get auto-duplex negotiation.

Those two are not the actual problematic ones - those were called
PA-FEISL or something like this.

I'm shopping on ebay. Is there any way to tell the difference by looking
at them? The ones marked "PA-2FE-TX/ISL" or "PA-2FEISL-TX" are two
different parts? Because they seem to be the same price. The ones with
no mention at all of ISL sell for $150-200 more.

Peace... Sridhar