Hi,

We have got Etherchannel thorugh SDH over ethernet links. LACP was the only
way to detect failures on SDH back bone. But response time is very slow, it
takes around 1 minute to detect failures.

Is there a way to change the LACP timers?

Thanks

Kamal

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 8:01 AM, Kevin Graham <
[email protected]> wrote:

> Absolutely go LACP. One-way, misconfigured or otherwise broken interfaces
> in a bundle are handled implicitly and done with explicit signaling to each
> side (i.e. Both will see it as an independent or broken port rather than
> just shutdown).
>
> This is can also trivially monitored via the LAG-MIB, saving sone
> additional time in the troubleshooting cycle.
>
> [sent from my mobile]
>
> On Jan 15, 2011, at 10:12 AM, Keegan Holley <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Phil Mayers <[email protected]
> >wrote:
> >
> >> On 01/15/2011 12:42 AM, Peter Rathlev wrote:
> >>
> >>> On Fri, 2011-01-14 at 18:50 -0500, Keegan Holley wrote:
> >>>
> >>>> Just wondering what the general consensus was on hard coding vs.
> >>>> negotiating
> >>>> etherchannels.  I've always hard coded them and viewed the negotiation
> >>>> protocols as a possible point of failure.
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>> We always use LACP, since an unconditional port-channel connected to
> >>> something that's not a port-channel might lead to problems. I view it a
> >>> little like GE auto-negotiation -- I can't see a reason for not using
> >>> it.
> >>>
> >>
> >> At one time the Cisco "fast convergence" SRND recommended channel mode
> of
> >> "on" because it was a bit quicker bringing links up. We followed that
> >> advice, but TBH I've been reconsidering it lately.
> >>
> >> To an extent it depends on what *kind* of etherchannel you're talking
> >> about. If it's router->router and you control the fibre patching, a
> >> mis-patch is less likely.
> >>
> >> But if it's towards an edge server, where mis-patching gets more likely,
> >> LACP seems like a no-brainer.
> >>
> >>
> > I'm less concerned with connecting to the wrong device than with
> diagnosing
> > failures.  I've seen issues where a link in a hardcoded etherchannel
> stops
> > passing traffic but is not removed from the channel since there is no
> > negotiation protocol running.  Would dynamic protocols help here or is it
> > not worth the risk?  Just to be clear I'm talking about LACP, but I
> assume
> > PAGP is capable of the same.
> > _______________________________________________
> > cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
> > https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
> > archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
>
> _______________________________________________
> cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
> https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
> archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
>
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to