Thanks. I had (perhaps foolishly) assumed that moving from an NPE-G1 to a Sup720-3BXL-based platform would represent an upgrade from the 7206VXR (as well as having the advantage of bringing our Internet BGP tier in-line with the rest of our core network from a hardware perspective).
When comparing the NPE-G1 to a Sup720-3BXL for the purposes of being an internet-facing BGP router am I actually proposing a backwards step? From: Peter Rathlev <[email protected]> To: [email protected] Cc: [email protected] Date: 29/06/2011 16:38 Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Replacing a 7206VXR w/ NPE-G1 with Sup720-3BXL w/ WS-X6408A-GBIC On Wed, 2011-06-29 at 16:14 +0100, [email protected] wrote: > Can anyone confirm exactly how traffic will be forwarded by the > Sup720-3BXL with a WS-X6408A-GBIC in the chassis? The PFC3B on the supervisor will make the forwarding decisions. Throughput is limited by the 32 Gb/s (simplex) bus and the 15 Mpps per system as you mention. You should also look into buffer sizes and the card's ability to handle bursts. I don't know the 6408 card, but we've used 6516 (CEF256) cards with success for many years. You should also beware that the Sup720 route processor is quite weak compared to a NPE-G1, and things like BGP processing might take somewhat longer than usual. This white-paper explains the forwarding architecture quite well, though it has little information on classic bus forwarding: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/prod_white_paper0900aecd80673385.html http://tinyurl.com/2w7yu3 (same link) If you try searching for "BRKARC-3465.pdf" in your favorite search engine you could find a presentation from a breakout session that explains things in more detail. I'm not sure it's an official document, so I'd rater not link directly to anthing. But it's worth a read. -- Peter _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
