The "supervisor" is actually a split brain system...with the MSFC handling
routing calculations/manipulation and the PFC handling packet switching.
I expect your new setup will handle things just fine...and at least for
the moment, a Sup720-3BXL can handle full tables.
One annoyance, probably minor, is that none of cisco's GigE ports for the
6500 have a whole lot of output buffer, so if you're doing much traffic,
you will likely see some output drops, but not enough to cause problems.
On Wed, 29 Jun 2011, Chris Evans wrote:
Its all forwarded by the supervisor. I wouldn't be worried about that too
much. I'd be more worried about the full internet table being on the 6500.
It will probably be okay but 6500s aren't great high scale routers. They
don't have much CPU power.
On Jun 29, 2011 11:17 AM, <[email protected]>
wrote:
Hi,
Our Internet BGP tier is currently provided by a pair of 7206VXR routers
with NPE-G1s which are getting quite long in the tooth. We've recently
been able to reclaim a pair of Sup720-3BXLs and the associated 6509
chassis'. Its our intention to retire the 7206s and replace them with the
6509s /w Sup720s but we require 6 GigE interfaces per box. We have a pair
of WS-X6408A-GBIC 'classic bus' linecards on the shelf (no spare 65XX or
67XX modules unfortunately) but my question is whether using the
WS-X6408A-GBIC to provide port capacity is a good or bad idea in this
scenario?
I appreciate that using a WS-X6408A-GBIC means that the classic 32Gbps
shared bus will be used (with a max of 15Mpps per system) but in raw
performance numbers this is a significant increase on the 7206VXR/NPE-G1s
~2Gbps backplane and ~1Mpps forwarding rate.
My real concern is that I've found two different Cisco documents that
describe the Forwarding-Engine Architecture differently for classic
linecards.
This link :-
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/product_data_sheet0900aecd801459a7.html
states that "the Supervisor engine CPU makes forwarding decision"
and this link:-
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/product_data_sheet0900aecd8017376e.html
states that "Centralized Cisco Express Forwarding engine located on
supervisor policy feature card (PFC) makes forwarding decision"
As the 6500 series is a hardware-based platform I'm keen to make use of
hardware-supported features where available and not experience unexpected
issues from high CPU utilisation.
Can anyone confirm exactly how traffic will be forwarded by the
Sup720-3BXL with a WS-X6408A-GBIC in the chassis?
Thanks in advance,
Matthew
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jon Lewis, MCP :) | I route
Senior Network Engineer | therefore you are
Atlantic Net |
_________ http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key_________
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/