On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 [email protected] wrote:

Thanks. I had (perhaps foolishly) assumed that moving from an NPE-G1 to a
Sup720-3BXL-based platform would represent an upgrade from the 7206VXR (as
well as having the advantage of bringing our Internet BGP tier in-line
with the rest of our core network from a hardware perspective).

When comparing the NPE-G1 to a Sup720-3BXL for the purposes of being an
internet-facing BGP router am I actually proposing a backwards step?

It may not have as much CPU power as a G1, but it's a switch and was designed to switch packets at line rate...lots of them, lots more than a VXR can do. BGP convergence may go a little slower, but the platform will forward more traffic (PPS or Mbps) than the VXR.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
 Senior Network Engineer     |  therefore you are
 Atlantic Net                |
_________ http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key_________
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to