On Monday, January 23, 2012 03:30:14 PM Jeff Bacon wrote:
...
> The Cat6k got its start as an L2 device. It was that until some
> bright boy decided to gut a 7200 NPE and glue it into the supervisor
> and create the MSFC.
...
> Just another $0.02 in the pot.

:-)

The Cat6k got its start as the Cat5k.  The MSFC got its start as the RSFC for 
the Cat5k SupIIG (and later IIIG).  Cat5k/SupIIIG+RSFC = something like Cat6k 
w/MSFC in hybrid mode with CatOS on the supervisor.  (Source: Kennedy Clark's 
'Cisco LAN Switching' from a long time ago plus my own experiences with 
currently running in production Cat5k hardware).  The hardware is still doing 
what it needs to be doing, and doing it in this role more than adequately.  And 
the RFI to our radiotelescopes has proven to be less than the RFI of our two 
7609's.

Anybody remember the MSM? :-)  And I still have Cat5k's in production running 
RSM blades (RSM = 7500's RSP2 with a special interface to the Catalyst bus) and 
RSFC piggy's.  (MSM = Catalyst 8510 SRP++, with bus interfacing, sort of).

The Catalyst 5000 Supervisor Engine I had its EARL, long ago.  I don't know 
where in Crescendo's history EARL got its start, but I would find that to be 
interesting reading.
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to