You could consider MST to reduce the number of STP instances. Sometimes that 
can increase efficiency. However what you are probably looking for is 
"spanning-tree diameter" command. If I recall that can make some auto 
adjustments to STP timers to accommodate for large switched networks.

You should also be aware that 20 switches connected in a straight line (hence 
middle switch) gives you a single point of failure. If it is truly a "train" of 
switches you could also not run STP - no ring/redundant link = no loop. 

- 

John


-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-nsp [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Raymond 
Burkholder
Sent: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 9:37 PM
To: 'cisco-nsp'
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Divide large PVST domain?

> > I have a train of about 20 C3560X switches connected successively.
> > I know such a diameter is not good for STP, however, when I place 
> > the root bridge in the middle of the train, PVST still works more or 
> > less reliably.
> >

Or turn on some simple routing like rip, and make each switch a layer 3 subnet. 
 Layer 3 segmentation can be more reliable than layer 2 segmentation.


--
This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner, 
and is believed to be clean.

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected] 
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/



----NAN Cloud Services, powered by McAfee, has scanned and cleared this message
of any viruses.----

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to