That's correct. However , you can try to predict your needs and preconfigure 
the vlan to instance mapping. On most sane designs , you shouldn't end up with 
a gazillion of instances anyway.

On 9 Jul 2014 19:19, Victor Sudakov <[email protected]> wrote:
John Gaffney wrote:
> You could consider MST to reduce the number of STP instances.
> Sometimes that can increase efficiency.

Am I correct to assume that every time I need to move a vlan from one
MST instance to another, my whole MST domain will fall apart until the
MST reconfiguration is complete on all the switches?

Somehow I don't like this idea.


> However what you are probably looking for is "spanning-tree
> diameter" command. If I recall that can make some auto adjustments
> to STP timers to accommodate for large switched networks.

Even with the timer adjustments the maximum diameter is about 18
devices. Still my train does miraculously work provided the root
switch is in the middle.


> You should also be aware that 20 switches connected in a straight
> line (hence middle switch) gives you a single point of failure.

It is not exactly so because the radio equipment has a way to shunt
the failed switch. So the continuity of the train can be quickly
restored. But it is a different topic.

I also have a backup root close to the middle of the train.

This is also the reason why going all L3 is not an option. You cannot
simply shunt a router.

> If it is truly a "train" of switches you could also not run STP - no
> ring/redundant link = no loop.

As I have already said before, 'I have a "train" topology with some
redundant links between neighboring switches'.

There are however no rings in the sense that redundant links are only
between neighbors.


--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
sip:[email protected]
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/


This e-mail and any attachment(s) contained within are confidential and are 
intended only for the use of the individual to whom they are addressed. The 
information contained in this communication may be privileged, or exempt from 
disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you 
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this 
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication 
in error, please notify the sender and delete the communication without 
retaining any copies. Rolaware Hellas SA is not responsible for, nor endorses, 
any opinion, recommendation, conclusion, solicitation, offer or agreement or 
any information contained in this communication.
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to