On Tue, 8 Dec 2015, Laurent Dumont wrote:
We were looking at either the Nexus 7004 chassis or the ASR 9004/9006 chassis as the core "switch". We would then use 48xGigE and 1x24 SFP+ line cards. Our actual port requirements and somewhat flexible but we do need at least 4x10G Fiber ports. And at least 48 GigE ports for players or access switches.
I don't really understand your topology. 2001-2004 I was involved in providing network connectivity to around 2500-4500 users at Dreamhack, back then the largest LAN in the world as far as we knew. Back then we made do with 2x100FE for 20 computers and the core connectivity was 2xGE. I'd say your design seems to fairly similar, but with 2x10GE instead, but I'm just guessing from what you wrote.
ASR9k has been used before and will do just fine. Dreamhack has grown a bit since I was involved:
http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/routers/asr-9000-series-aggregation-services-routers/dreamhack_v4acs_final.pdf http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/107245-inside-the-worlds-largest-lan-party http://www.pack4dreamhack.nl/interviews/dreamhack-behind-the-scenes-network/
I'm also open to any suggestion within Cisco portfolio. Our needs are pretty standard and nothing extraordinary but we would like to use this opportunity in order to try new equipment and technologies that are usually only seem within ISP and large networks.
Don't forget to provide dual stack (IPv4 and IPv6) connectivity. Limit your broadcast domains (I'd say 20-50 users per broadcast domain), and make sure you do antispoofing (BCP38) for everybody.
-- Mikael Abrahamsson email: [email protected] _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
