From: Anthony Holloway <avholloway+cisco-v...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2018 10:56 AM
To: Ryan Huff <ryanh...@outlook.com>
Cc: Lelio Fulgenzi <le...@uoguelph.ca>; voyp list, cisco-voip
(cisco-voip@puck.nether.net) <cisco-voip@puck.nether.net>
Subject: Re: [cisco-voip] what are the cool kids using to read CUCM logs
nowadays?

I also second TranslatorX as my first stop.  Make sure to have CDR enabled on
the cluster, and just dump all of the compressed logs into it, pop open the
Call List, find your call, double click it to see some good high level details
(disconnect cause, duration, codecs, dtmf, ip addresses, device names) about
the call, then generate a filter if you need to see the ladder diagram.  I
don't use it for more complex log analysis, for that I sail over to Ryan's
island and ask to use his Windows ME box and fire up Notepad++.

The find in files feature is amazing, but you will need to un-compress the logs
first (RTMT can do this for you). The highlighting is helpful, and if you know
regex, you're golden.  PS Some folks in TAC have syntax highlighting for CM
traces in Notepad++, but so far they have not been willing to share it with me.

Which brings me to my final point.  Reading CM traces is not an easy effort,
and you should give yourself a time limit, then just open a TAC case (or send
it to Daniel Pagan; the human parser).  The Troubleshooting IP Telephony book
is pretty good, and there's a few nuggets on the mailing list, but really, if
you're not working in TAC, or a TAC like job function, you're swimming up
stream.  You might have better luck performing controlled experiments, swapping
components in and out to isolate the root cause.

With that said, you'll never get better at log parsing, if you're not log
parsing.  So, if you're sick and twisted like Ryan and Daniel able to devote
some time to log parsing, go for it.

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 8:33 AM Ryan Huff