From: Richard Tufaro [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 7:47 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: PIX Design Considerations [7:48979]

Why don't people get the notion that a "Firewall" is essentially a router.
PIX = Firewall = Router... Firewall = Router. It ROUTES....

>>> "Jeffrey Reed"  07/16 8:19 PM >>>
I?m still pretty green with PIX in general and was talking today about
introducing a PIX into an existing network. The customer has a router (not
controlled by them) that has three public class C subnets defined. They are
not using VLANs, so the router has an interface and two sub-interfaces going
into a switches network. We want to put the PIX in between the outside
router and the LAN. I know this group has said several times the PIX is not
a router. Do I need to have another router between the PIX and the LAN to
perform routing between subnets? I assume the PIX will not facilitate
routing between the internal subnets. Can you define multiple interfaces on
the internal interface of the PIX if we didn?t need to route between the
internal VLANs?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Jeffrey Reed
Classic Networking, Inc.
Cell 717-805-5536
Office 717-737-8586
FAX 717-737-0290
Confidential e-mail for addressee only.  Access to this e-mail by anyone
else is unauthorized.  If you have received this message in error, please
notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy the original
communication.  1