Hi Richard,

The simple answer to your question is "yes you need a seperate router
outside the pix".  Leave your internal router alone and just add a default
route pointing at the pix interface .

He doesn't necessarily have to be using VLANS as long as all the subnets is
routing for are on the same lan segment than the router just routes between
ip networks on the same wire.

The router you add to the scenario would be on the outside of the pix, and
would usually be connected to the  internet via a serial line, or possibly
another untrusted network.  This router than becomes the default route for
the pix itself.

You need to add a route inside command on the pix to route to the other
subnets hanging off your internal router.

You are correct, the pix performs some routing funtions but is not a fully
functional router - so you can't have things like secondary ip's on a pix
interface, therefor you need a device behind the pix that can route between
your internal networks.

outside router------pix------internalrouter----ip-segment
                                                        |-----second-ip
segment