>> Frank Nordberg wrote:
>
>> Very interesting Frank. I remember you referring to the Peter Bang MS,
>> which turned out to be for a viol rather than a cittern. (By the way, did
>> that MS have a date?)
>
> The Bang manuscript has been dated to 1679 but I don't think anybody
> seriously believes that. Late 1680s to 1690s is more likely.
>
>> I thought that the Bang MS  was the only potential source of 18th century
>> cittern music in Norway.
>
> I know of three 18th C. Norwegian books with cittern music:
>
> + The Storm ms., with basic playing and tuning instructions and a handful of
> simple instrumental pieces. Written by Edvard Storm in Copenhagen between
> 1779 and 1785 and more continental than Norwegian in style.
> Wikipedia has an article about Storm:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edvard_Storm
>
> + The Dedekam ms., some songs with simple cittern accompaniment. Written by
> Mette Kirstine Dedekam and dated to 1799.
>
> + A cittern tutorial published by Lorents Nicolai Berg (1743-1784) in
> Kristiansand in 1782. As far as I know, no copies have survived. I'm not sure
> if Are is still on the list. If he is, maybe he's got some more info.

I am still here! But I don't know more manuscripts than you do...

But I can add that the priest Jacog Nicolai Wilse describes the use of
"Cintrinque" for folk music in the village of Spydeberg southeast of Oslo
in 1779.

>> So this Edvard Storm MS is not using a major key, chordal tuning as in many
>> parts of Europe. It's a cithrinchen (Bell cittern tuning) down a tone?
>
> Is it? I thought the citrinchen was tuned in an open chord.

The Grove Music article on cithrinchen mentions a swedish manuscript from
1722 (Lund, Universitet, Universitetsbiblioteket, Handskriftsavdelningen
Wenster G30) whith french tabulature for an instrument called
"cittringen". One of the tunings for this instrument is given as
c-f-a-c'-e'-a', which should be exactley the same tuning intervals as
given in the Storm manuscript!

Are