Rajanikanth P wrote:

> Thanks Julio Canto. Thats what i have to do.
>
> Hello D J Fan
>
> I know that it takes 4 - 5 hrs for an AV company to get the sample
> analyse it and create a signature for it then alert all its
> subscribers...and then publish the updates..I know this..but what i
> was trying to tell this group was atleast after the signatures are
> published i should be getting it within 10 mins ...or else it is of no
> use to me...as many viruses would have passed through my server
>
> Moreover i wont be using freshclam as i will be writing my own program
> to monitor all the servers for new updates ( so for every 10 mins it
> can check 5 different locations..right ? Is this a good idea ?
>

> On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 08:35:56 +0200, Julio Canto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > Phil Ershler wrote:
> >
> > > Every 10 minutes is much to often. There was a thread about this
> > > issue just a while ago. The consensus was 1 to 4 hours and not
> > > exactly on the hour. If everybody ran freshclam every 10 minutes,
> > > the server would croak.
> > >
> > > Phil
> >
> > For the shake of reducing the 'unprotection window', every 10 minutes
> > is a good time. It takes a little resources to check for new
> > signatures(basically a GET to an HTTP site should not make croack one
> > of the mirrors)... Anyway, I'm not using freshclam but a python
> > script. Greetings,
> >    Julio Canto
> >    Hispasec Sistemas

 By the time the signature is released, you may already have had cartloads
passing through your server. Another <hour won't make a vast amount of
difference. You should not be reliant on one method of detecting virii,
pure and simple. If the AV software is your only means of ingress
detection, your buggered anyway.

Matt