Thank you for the explanation (looks like sometines it is difficult to find a normal one without being called stupid or something).

Don't let this get you down though.
Granted, too frequent checks could give mirrors problems.
However, technically there is nothing that prevents you from writing your own scripts to check updates every minute.
In fact, recent devel version of freshclam seems to remove limitation on number of checks if you enable DNSDatabaseInfo.
Although not recommended, you could now run freshclam as daemon and set it to check for updates, say ... 240 times a day,
no additional script necessary.

It is better that you bring that idea here, so that others may provide you with ideas how to achieve what you want
with as little load as possible to clamav infrastructure.

Regards,

Fajar

Well, the reason why I have that cheking rate is because I've ClamAV integrated in a multi-engine antivirus service called VirusTotal (www.virustotal.com), and to keep av signatures fully updated is one of the most important things to keep in mind. This is mostly because we pretend to offer the 'best' of that engines, and because from time to time we publish information of when was detected new viruses so people can compare reaction times of different AV vendors (12 are participating now).
I have to say that I have been positivelly surprised more than once when I've dome that tests, as clam were usually one of the first ones to detect new viruses (in the field of the ones who doesn't have heuristic features).
Of course I'm open to any suggestion of how to keep that signatures fully updated using as less resources as neccesary, and trying to understand this AV as good as I can is the reason why I joined and follow this list.
Greetings
Julio Canto

------------------------------------------------------- SF.Net email is sponsored by Shop4tech.com-Lowest price on Blank Media 100pk Sonic DVD-R 4x for only $29 -100pk Sonic DVD+R for only $33 Save 50% off Retail on Ink & Toner - Free Shipping and Free Gift. http://www.shop4tech.com/z/Inkjet_Cartridges/9_108_r285 _______________________________________________ Clamav-users mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/clamav-users