Or, how about a subscription only (i.e. pay for) mirror which people can
query every five minutes if they like ?
Note that although you shouldn't, you CAN query any official mirror every minute if you want :)
No mirror that I know of is able to prevent that. Yet.

iptables/netfilter :-)

So I would pay for something I can get for free because, uh, .... because I'm generous? No, that's not it ... :)

You would pay for the bandwith and speed someone is willing to give you so you can query a mirror every x minutes and get the latest signatures.. How important is it? Don't really know. If a virus is in the wild for over 24 hours IMO waiting another hour doesn't really matter that much..

If I would know enough ppl who would be willing to pay for it I would be more then happy to offer both a public official mirror and a private mirror. A public mirror will most likely happen at some point anyway..

B.