Dan wrote:
At 2:30 PM -0700 4/17/2010, Ralf Quint wrote:
At 02:09 PM 4/17/2010, Dan wrote:
Yea, I agree, the Clam team probably could have done things better. But would more announcements or warnings have really made a difference? Why would the people, that regularly ignore the Freshclam warnings, pay attention?

OTOH, I wonder how many of these upset admins have taken even partial responsibility - by admitting to their bosses that they failed to apply any updates to a critical piece of software, for over a YEAR?

You too seem to miss one very important point. It is not the ClamAV project's place to judge and punish any failure by such admins. That is soley up to the institution they have to report to.

As far as due diligence goes, ClamAV has done their part by announcing the EOL of updates for ClamAV version before a certain version ahead of time. They do not have any right to deliberately mess with a running system...

Please explain this "right" that makes thy system so sacrosanct. I've never heard of that.

IMO, it is unconscionable to run an outdated anti-virus product. Using an AV provides an expectation down the line of a virus-free environment. If the Clam team had borked things up so the ancient versions would continue to run forever but without database updates... then people would suddenly - without notification - be unnecessarily vulnerable. Then what? Some fools would file lawsuits, claiming the Clam team is legally liable for the resulting viral infections and their clean-up! pah. The Clam team had one and only one responsible choice: to remove the aged product from service before it became a road hazard, er a liability around their necks. They were even nice enough to give months of warnings.

- Dan.
I whole heartedly agree Dan. However I have been slandered today being called arrogant and ignorant, so what do I know?

Jim