Rob Sterenborg wrote:

 > Message of freshclam did not specify that older versions would stop.
 It was the same message as for minor upgrades. This did not give the
 information that something different than usual was planned.

It still means you should upgrade and the message was ignored long enough that ClamAV stopped working. The fact that there is no *immediate* need to upgrade when the message is first seen, does not mean you can wait that long.

The OP use(s|d) an EOL Debian and an EOL ClamAV. If the OP upgrades ClamAV to a more recent version then he's back in business, even with an EOL Debian.

And ... it proves your argument that "there was a warning message so it's entirely the users fault" is completely bogus. Guess what, with a fully up to date installation, with ALL updates installed, freshclam still reports THE SAME WARNING.

So does that mean we should expect our fully up to date installation to "just stop working" ? And when, tomorrow, next week, next month, ... ? Do we have to start checking the ClamAv website to see if 9.5 is going to be EOL'd and remotely killed before 9.6 gets into Debian ? Note that just updating a fresh install isn't sufficient to give a working system - a fresh Debian install, with all updates installed, does not have a working ClamAV on it. Users need to add Volatile for that to work.

Yes, it would be an idea to keep a bit more current, but that **SHOULD** be the decision of whoever is responsible for the box having balanced all the factors that affect his (or her) operations. It may not be the case for this particular package, but there are often other things that prevent upgrades - I've got several systems running various old versions of various OS's for the simple reason that I've got various items of hardware that have no support in current versions.

I have a system still running DOS 3.something - it's part of a system that no longer has any vendor support but which still does the job I require it to do. I have a VM running Windows 98 because I have some software I need to run on it. I have a pile of CD's here that are unreadable in Vista or Win7 - so to access the manuals on them I must run an outdated system. I have an old laptop with Mac OS 10.4 because my scanner software won't run on 10.5 or 10.6 and the vendor has dropped support. And I've got boxes here (still doing useful jobs) for which 10.5 is not a supported OS.

And those are only the 'hard' limits - ie stuff that *cannot* be upgraded. there are 'soft' reasons too - such as balancing the risk of upgrading vs the risk of not upgrading. I have one system where I know 100% that applying all updates *will* break it - so I have to hold back certain packages until one or other of the imcompatible bits gets fixed.

Applying the logic used with some venom here, every one of those systems should have been upgraded and/or scrapped - never mind whether they would still be capable of doing the job they are there for.

Again, not aiming this at you specifically, but at all those who have been advocating with religious zeal that there should be, and cannot be, any other policy that "all updates applied all the time as soon as they come out" - or something very close to that. And then I note that one of those busy telling people they are complete idiots and unfit to be running a toaster (OK, slight exaggeration for dramatic effect) for running anything but the very latest versions ...

... earlier today admitted that he has a system to take through six - yes SIX - OS upgrades to bring it up to date. I can only assume he had his reasons, and that he balanced the risks (upgrade vs leave alone), and most importantly that if left for as long as it has ... he had some expectation that it wouldn't be artificially crippled by some outside influence before he got around to upgrading it.

--
Simon Hobson