Simon Hobson wrote:
Daniel McDonald wrote:

> I'm a little confused by this (still), is it not true that simply
turning off freshclam will allow clamav to continue working indefinitely
on the existing signature set?

No, you need to turn off freshclam *and* delete one signature, or grab an
older copy of the signature file.

You missed a few steps :
- Find out what has happened to your software that was working fine
yesterday.
- Work out what to do RIGHT NOW because your phone is ringing with
people asking where their mail is*
- Put in place a quick workaround (disable scanning) to allow the mail
queues to get flowing
- Work out what options are available for dealing with it medium term
- Work out where the dig files are stored
- and then disable freshclam and put yesterdays sig files back
- work out what to to get onto newer version

* Yes, we've already heard the arguments that mail shouldn't stop when
ClamAV does - even though that is logically inconsistent with the
argument that old versions couldn't be allowed to continue without updates.

I was talking about turning off freshclam anytime in the last two years, not the day after your system broke. Again, you're behaving as though you had no way of knowing when that is not true.