* Simon Hobson wrote:
> <h...@dip-systems.de> wrote:
>> After the last signature update, clam av stopped working on our woody
>> installation.
>>

>> Is there no more support for this Debian Release?
>
> No, according to certain people on this list, you are a cretin, and
> incompetent to even handle the off switch of a computer. If you check
> the list archives - particular for threads "(no subject)" and "Those EOL
> tweets" you'll see that you are far from alone.
>
> There seen to be three groups - those who think it was handled really
> badly and were affected,

Not by that but 0.96 will slag a machine with 128 MB.
I hope the ClamAV Team doesn't decide to kill 0.95 in the same fashion.

> a small group who think it was handled badly
> but weren't affected,

Here, although if 0.95 dies similarly, I guess I'll be a cretin and worse,
according to some people, just because some of our hardware can't run 0.96.

> and a group that thinks there is nothing wrong and
> it's all the end users fault - and especially that the ClamAV team did
> nothing wrong,

When they write an AV engine they do a lot right.
When they deal with the user base, they do a lot wrong.

> deliberately interfering with other peoples servers is
> both morally and legally acceptable as long as they pretended to tell
> you first, and there was no other possible way they could have acted.

Put any sigs that would crash 0.94 into a different cvd.
Maybe bytecode.cvd or something else.
Old installs don't even know to look for it or third party sigs.

WOW, What a concept.
Same results less breakage.

> Even now when their stance has been shown to be full of logical holes,
> they still persist that anyone disagreeing with their "we did nothing
> wrong" stance are a bunch of whining losers.
>
> That's how it comes across to me anyway.

Unfortunately.

If an old Clamav was installed on a system that did a vital task, but could
basically be a "set it and forget it" system, the setup got shafted by the
ClamAV team.

No other way to call it.

--
Sincerely,