LOL....

You are assuming I use PC on my network.

Sorry I don't mean the LOL in a bad way at all. I guess I just come from a
different world (I started my life on Sun).

I believe each of the points you both made, including OUTBOUND security to
prevent hackers from using a hacked machine on our network, are very valid
points. But I have yet to see gateway blocks actually reduce the number of
infections on my network, and when compared to the complexity it introduces
into the system, it is just not worth it. Complexity is your worst enemy. When
things are kept as simple as possible, in a time of crisis, they are simple to
figure out.

If my goal was to keep infected machines off my network, monitoring (SNMP (CPU
usage, IO, etc...) , Snort, Port Mapping, etc...) are a much more effective
way. I would actively be monitoring every device (we only do routers and
servers), I would use products like nagios to set alerts. I would become
intimate with the way my users work, and the way their machines operate.

I would never violate a netizen's right by restricting his or her movements on
the internet. I believe a user should be able to use the machine assigned to
them for what ever purpose they choose, and it is my job to provide a reliable,
safe, and secure, environment for them to operate in.

;)

Primary objective:
Create a secure, safe, meaningful environment for OUR users.