On 3/7/2012 2:25 PM, Steve Kirkby wrote:
> Following Edwin's reply (and thanks for that) I visited the clamav.net site.
> I downloaded the ClamAV 0.97.3 install guide. It consists of 17 pages of
> highly technical instructions which are so beyond me that I could not even
> think of doing anything that it says: Firmware password; Terminal
> instructions galore; " Many people don ́t like or hate the terminal but there
> is no reason for that." The very next line is "The default shell is the
> bash." How on earth can this apply to the ordinary computer user? There
> follows copious programming instructions, like:
> cd $HOME/Source
> mkdir gnupg
> cd gnupg
> curl -L ftp://mirror.switch.ch/mirror/gnupg/gnupg/gnupg-1.4.11.tar.gz -o
> gnupg-1.4.11.tar.gz
>
> openssl sha1 gnupg-1.4.11.tar.gz
>
> SHA1 checksum : bffb0c60b2e702980f7148ee3a060f29adc82331
>
> tar -xzvf gnupg-1.4.11.tar.gz cd gnupg-1.4.11
>
> ./configure
>
> I accept that clam is a good anti-malware software, and that those who
> understand all this technicality are very knowledgable and intelligent, but
> it is so many light-years away for the average consumer that it is unsuitable
> for any other user than a technical guru. Commercial software, such as
> Microsoft Word, Photoshop, and also various anti-malware software, install at
> the touch of a key without any complexity. Compare that to the download for
> Clam:  55 folders and files, only one of which looked like an installation,
> and that had Terminal instructions.
>
> Sorry folks, but I have removed as much of Clam as I can and, regretfully but
> thankfully, will not approach it ever again.

ClamAV is designed to be installed by a sysadmin in a linux
environment.  It is not generally considered to be a consumer product.
However, on most platforms, the majority of the install can be done by
"yum install clamav" or a similar command.

On the other hand, I thought we had determined that you were using the
Mac ClamXav program, which was reportedly in the process of being
updated with the new ClamAV code.  So my suggestion would be to just
relax and wait for ClamXav to be updated.  You should then be able to
install with the normal Mac install tools (no command line needed).

--
Bowie