On 07-03-2012 11:25, Steve Kirkby wrote:
Following Edwin's reply (and thanks for that) I visited the clamav.net site. I downloaded the
ClamAV 0.97.3 install guide. It consists of 17 pages of highly technical instructions which are so
beyond me that I could not even think of doing anything that it says: Firmware password; Terminal
instructions galore; " Many people don ́t like or hate the terminal but there is no reason for
that." The very next line is "The default shell is the bash." How on earth can this
apply to the ordinary computer user? There follows copious programming instructions, like:
cd $HOME/Source
mkdir gnupg
cd gnupg
curl -L ftp://mirror.switch.ch/mirror/gnupg/gnupg/gnupg-1.4.11.tar.gz -o
gnupg-1.4.11.tar.gz

openssl sha1 gnupg-1.4.11.tar.gz

SHA1 checksum : bffb0c60b2e702980f7148ee3a060f29adc82331

tar -xzvf gnupg-1.4.11.tar.gz cd gnupg-1.4.11

./configure

I accept that clam is a good anti-malware software, and that those who
understand all this technicality are very knowledgable and intelligent, but it
is so many light-years away for the average consumer that it is unsuitable for
any other user than a technical guru. Commercial software, such as Microsoft
Word, Photoshop, and also various anti-malware software, install at the touch
of a key without any complexity. Compare that to the download for Clam:  55
folders and files, only one of which looked like an installation, and that had
Terminal instructions.

Sorry folks, but I have removed as much of Clam as I can and, regretfully but
thankfully, will not approach it ever again.

But thanks for the reply.

Hello Steve,
The clamav installation & update can be daunting for the non-programmer but Mark Allen, the progammer of ClamXav, has a webpage that is only one page long that can update your clamav engine for ClamXav and here is the website: http://www.clamxav.com/docs_byo.php

Also there is support forum for ClamXav that can assist you in updating your ClamXav at this website: http://www.markallan.co.uk/BB/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=2f99d47ca35c46e9b5f816cb52911c28

I hope this helps,
Frank