From: clamav-users-boun...@lists.clamav.net
[mailto:clamav-users-boun...@lists.clamav.net] On Behalf Of Simon Hobson
Sent: 12 January 2013 06:32 PM
To: clamav-users@lists.clamav.net
Subject: Re: [clamav-users] Virus names - a rose by any name?

"Pancho" wrote:

>While I understand the comment, it makes it risky I believe from a
>security perspective to tell users anything more than " file contains
virus".

>I say this because if we find a virus and provide the message "file
>contains virus with name <ClamAV proprietary virus name XYZ>" then
>malicious users can effectively deduce our virus engine simply by using the
custom name.
>See the site http://virusscan.jotti.org/en for a very easy illustration
>of how to do this.
>
>Once the malicious user knows this again, it is a fairly
>straightforward thing for them to test exploits against a site like
>jotti until they find one not detected by ClamAV - then submit that
>exploit to our site knowing that it will successfully bypass our anti
virus.

AFAIK ClamAV doesn't tell outside users anything - that is up to the
software that calls it and the administrator that set it up.

For example, suppose we are using ClamAV to scan inbound mail - using Amavis
as integration software as that's a fairly common setup. So when the email
is submitted by the outside MTA, our MTA hands off the message the Amavis,
and Amavis (amongst other things) halds it off to ClamAV.

The response sent to the outside MTA can be anything from "message blocked"
at one extreme to "ClamAV found XXX" at the other - and where in that
spectrum is down to not just ClamAV (which should correctly identify what it
found IMO), but also the config of Amavis and the config of our MTA.

Of course, what is reported to the outside MTA can be different to what is
logged in our mail log. We may just report "blocked" to outside while
logging full details (as is usually the case) in the mail log so that the
administrator has more information if the reason is queried.

Much the same applies if you scan innbound file on a web site that allows
uploads - what ClamAV reports to your software, and what your software
reports to the end user may be different things.