From: clamav-users-boun...@lists.clamav.net
[mailto:clamav-users-boun...@lists.clamav.net] On Behalf Of Shawn Webb
Sent: 12 January 2013 11:37 PM
To: ClamAV users ML
Subject: Re: [clamav-users] Virus names - a rose by any name?

In addition to having the same sentiments Joel has, I'd like to explain why not
displaying the name of the virus does not add any extra security for a number
of reasons:

1. Attackers can already "deduce" ClamAV's engine because it's opensource.
They have the blueprints. They already know how it works.
2. Security through obscurity is not security.
3. If an attacker is trying to practice evasion techniques, all the attacker
cares about is whether his malware evades AVs. The attacker doesn't care what
name the AV engine gives (or doesn't give) his malware.
4. It's already common practice for malware authors to do point #3 using
services like VirusTotal.

Thanks,

Shawn