We are using a local mirror to reduce Internet traffic and (mainly) to
reduce load on the ClamAV servers.

It is *only* the "master" (Internet-connected) ClamAV that sees these
delays, where the DNS TXT record advertises updates before whatever
Cloudflare server we (are unlucky enough to) actually hit has the files
available for download. The other ClamAVs on our LAN use an approach
wherein the mirror server (on the "master" ClamAV machine) simply
reports when new cvd (etc.) files are available locally.

It is only the "master" ClamAV that periodically does a DNS TXT query to
decide whether to run freshclam, whose source is the ClamAV (Clouflare)
server. If it does this immediately when the DNS TXT records suggests,
freshclam sometimes fails, complaining about things being out of sync.
(That's when I added the curl prefetch to see if the file really was
what the DNS TXT said.) All this has nothing to do with our local
mirroring,

Somebody suggested that our ISP (Comcast) may be proxying / caching the
ClamAV files -- and doing it badly. If that's the case, I don't know
what we can do about it.