Dennis,

> On Dec 10, 2018, at 8:26 PM, Dennis Peterson <denni...@inetnw.com> wrote:
>
> Helps too to read the entire thread and the thread that preceded this one.
> The OP has used combinations of dig and wget in diagnosing his problems.
>
> dp

Seriously, then he should be just trying to pull the new cdiffs to see if they
are propagated to the various Cloudflare hosts.

>> Sigh.
>>
>> Does no one actually READ THE MESSAGES???
>>
>> The OP's problem is:
>>
>>     FRESHCLAM FAILS, REPEATEDLY, UNTIL ALL MIRRORS ARE MARKED AS BAD
>>     AND NO UPDATES CAN OCCUR.
>>
>> Pissing up a rope about "you shouldn't do various work-arounds" is a waste
>> of time and bandwidth.
>>
>> The OP has shown that different Cloudflare nodes give (him) different
>> results, someone should be asking CLoudflare about how this can be
>> addressed, not dismissing the very valid and basic problem.
>>
>> This sort of behaviour just proves that Dunning-Kruger is alive and involved
>> in far too many OSS projects.
>>
>>     Cheers,
>>         Gary    B-)

Gary,

I haven’t really followed the whole thread, but I’ve been seeing it for months
that I recall, definitely a waste of bandwidth, and probably should be solved
to some extent.

Looking at his logs, the headers are only for a CVD, so he’s not trying updates.

Example of a cdiff pull from telnet:
telnet database.clamav.net 80
Trying 104.16.186.138...
Connected to database.clamav.net.cdn.cloudflare.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /daily-25195.cdiff HTTP/1.1
host: database.clamav.net

You don’t get those nice header parts to the file, so you wouldn’t know the
last update as it’s apart of the file itself.  Looking at manager.c on
freshclam, he should have been posting something like: "^getfile: %s not found
on %s (IP: %s)\n" which gets posted to the logs when the file doesn’t exist.

I’m not positive on this so Micah can chime in, but I do believe you get the
cdiff files from the DNS TXT somehow.

If anything it’s a good lesson on how exactly freshclam works.

Sincerely,

Eric Tykwinski