The daily.cvd is still less than half as big as main.cvd:

  -rw-r--r-- 1 clamav clamav 117892267 Jun  7  2017 main.cvd
  -rw-r--r-- 1 clamav clamav  53147013 Dec 11 14:03 daily.cvd

but indeed using the cdiffs could save bandwidth.

I never tried using cdiffs since the FAQ said "Let freshclam download
the *.cvd files", and I wasn't sure if "scripted update" would actually
create a proper cvd for both local mirroring *and* HAVP. Also, I
figured that we were already saving lots of bandwidth by doing local
mirroring instead of N separate freshclam external downloads.

P.S. After retirement there is less pressure, but the technology I deal
with daily (for my own purposes, rather than for pay) doesn't seem to
get any simpler.