Hi there,

On Mon, 14 Sep 2020, bobby via clamav-users wrote:

I plan to use it for email processing.  I am using postfix
currently. There are no other users besides myself, and it's only
one domain.

What mail clients will there be?  Any Windows boxes?  To protect a
Linux box against malware is relatively straightforward[*].  I use
Linux more or less exclusively and I use ClamAV because I do a lot of
spam processing, not because I feel the need for protection.

For mail scanning you'd normally run two daemons, 'clamd' which is the
actual scanner and a 'milter'.  The milter takes messages from the MTA
and passes them to clamd for scanning, then advises the MTA of clamd's
findings.  That might explain your confusion about services but I know
little about the way Centos does things.  ClamAV provides a milter,
unsurprisingly called 'clamav-milter'.  It does a bit more than I've
described here but that's its main job.

Personally I prefer not to use the distro-specific versions of things
like ClamAV, partly because the distro maintainers almost invariably
mess with things to comply with "policies" and partly because they're
often not quite as up to date as you'd like in something like a virus
scanner.  ClamAV isn't so very difficult to install from source, and
you'll learn a lot about it in the process.  OTOH on security grounds
you might not want for there to be a compiler available on the box - I
would certainly not want one on a firewall for example.

This may be a silly question to ask here... but is there any other
decent anti-virus software that does not take up as many resources?

If you want open source, I don't think there's anything else.  There
are commercial packages.  I don't know how they compare for resource
usage as I have no experience of any of them.  See e.g.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_antivirus_software#Linux

A very few claim to be free, but you will still need a (proprietary)
licence and probably have to accept some terms before you even get a
copy of the package.

I am currently running my box in DO, and it looks like the next step
up for RAM is 4GB.

DO == Digital Ocean?  AS14061 is in my block list. :)

--

73,
Ged.

[*] Don't run any network-listening daemons that you don't have to,
don't accept any connections you don't have to, and don't accept any
connections from China and a bunch of other places with, er, history.
Use common sense browsing habits - like using advertising and script
blockers, not visiting porn sites etc.  Of course keep the security
patches up to date, don't let things run as root if they don't have
to, don't run anything you don't have good reason to trust, use good
passwords and don't give them away.  Any number of places on the net
can probably add a few items to that short list.  This approach is a
lot less likely to fail because of a zero-day vulnerability which the
virus scanners haven't yet caught up with.  Postfix itself will need
to listen to the network so make sure if it is compromised by a zero-
day vulnerability the user which runs Postfix can't do anything bad to
the box (the same theory applies to clamd and any milters) without at
least exploiting _another_ vulnerability to get elevated privileges.
If you've done your homework well and kept on top of things there most
probably won't be one.  Unluckily if you're using a provider to supply
the machine itself it's most likely virtual, meaning a vulnerability
in the VM could be used to exploit not only _your_ VM, but very likely
thousands of others as well.  In that case, expect not to recover it.
You'll want to know that you have backups you can rely on; to me that
means it's in my office, not in some cloud in nobody-knows-where, and
I made it last night.