On Mar 10, 2021, at 12:31 PM, Paul Smith via clamav-users
<clamav-users@lists.clamav.net<mailto:clamav-users@lists.clamav.net>> wrote:

On 10/03/2021 17:00, Paul Kosinski via clamav-users wrote:
I wonder how many "ordinary" users of ClamAV are giving up on using it after
getting permanent 403s. I would imagine there are lots of people who don't
pursue the issue. They may even tell others that ClamAV is unreliable (which
would tarnish its reputation).

Indeed. There does seem to be a view from some people here that anyone using
ClamAV should be regularly updating, monitoring this list, monitoring blogs,
etc. Ordinary people just don't do that.

I expect many will just be thinking that the database servers are broken, and
are waiting for them to recover on their own (as they've done in the past) and
they'll eventually go elsewhere.

The change should really be published everywhere possible - at least in big
letters on the ClamAV home page, and possibly including going to popular
computer press, etc.

A blog article (which is actually very hard to find) or announcement list post
(which is even harder to find) which vaguely says that databases won't be
tested on older versions isn't quite the same as a home page announcement that
old versions & wget just won't work any more!

Of course, people have limited rights to complain - it's not like we're paying
for it.

We are going to be writing a couple blog posts in the coming days.  I haven’t
had the time to sit down and do it.

  • [clamav-users]... Kachare, Ganesh, Vodafone Group (External) via clamav-users
    • Re: [clam... Paul Smith via clamav-users
    • Re: [clam... Al Varnell via clamav-users
      • Re: [... Gene Heskett via clamav-users
    • Re: [clam... G.W. Haywood via clamav-users
      • Re: [... Paul Kosinski via clamav-users
        • R... Paul Smith via clamav-users
          • ... Arjen de Korte via clamav-users
            • ... Paul Smith via clamav-users
            • ... Joel Esler (jesler) via clamav-users
          • ... Joel Esler (jesler) via clamav-users
            • ... Paul Kosinski via clamav-users
              • ... Joel Esler (jesler) via clamav-users
            • ... Paul Smith via clamav-users
              • ... Andrew C Aitchison via clamav-users
              • ... Arjen de Korte via clamav-users
              • ... G.W. Haywood via clamav-users
                • ... Joel Esler (jesler) via clamav-users
      • Re: [... Matus UHLAR - fantomas