It's worse than that. Not only do almost all users ignore security (as do many
organizations), it seems that every new piece or version of software or
hardware *reduces* security. And this applies to some new protocols (remember
WiFi's WEP debacle?) and some extensions to or uses of existing ones.

It's all done in the name of convenience, and, in particular, striving for
universal inter-connectedness. For example, I have fairly recently started
receiving spam TXT messages containing links to who-knows-what. Yet (some)
Samsung smart phones urge you to "share your contact list with others" -- and
this admonition can't be disabled, it seems.

Another example is we got a new air-conditioner that has WiFi built-in, but
it's only usable via the GE/Haier server, not locally (which might actually be
useful). Luckily, the WiFi can be disabled (supposedly), so maybe this will
stop it from being part of an IoT botnet, since its tiny computer likely can't
get security updates.

In other words, securing email may be the least of our problems in the near
future.