Hi Micah,

On Thu, 22 Jul 2021, Micah Snyder (micasnyd) via clamav-users wrote:
G.W. Haywood via clamav-users wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jul 2021, Joel Esler (jesler) via clamav-users wrote:

ClamAV 0.104.0 Release Candidate is here!
 Please help us validate this release. We need your feedback, so let
us know what you find ...

It won't build on Debian Stretch:
CMake 3.14 or higher is required.  You are running version 3.13.4

The CMake project has been moving relatively quickly the past few
years. We depend on some of the newish features (though they're
already up to 3.21 now).  The easiest way to get a newer version of
CMake is to install it through Python 3's package manager: pip.

I just finished updating the online documentation for building with
CMake.  I've included instructions for how to install CMake, using
pip if necessary for some systems:
https://docs.clamav.net/manual/Installing/Installing-from-source-Unix.html#install-prerequisites

The first two attempts crashed the machine.  The first after half an
hour, the second after two hours but by then I was in bed.  I 'time'd
the third attempt.  Five and a half hours.  Well the root partition is
on NFS, but even so...
8<----------------------------------------------------------------------
$ time python3 -m pip install --user cmake
Looking in indexes: https://pypi.org/simple, https://www.piwheels.org/simple
Collecting cmake
  Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/.../cmake-3.21.0.tar.gz
  Installing build dependencies ... done
Building wheels for collected packages: cmake
  Running setup.py bdist_wheel for cmake ... done
  Stored in directory: /home/ged/.cache/pip/wheels/56/3b/6e/6f...1d
Successfully built cmake
Installing collected packages: cmake
Successfully installed cmake-3.21.0

real    329m38.416s
user    42m44.762s
sys     7m39.186s
8<----------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this works for okay for you.

It worked in the end, thanks.  At least it built some executables, I
haven't tried running them and probably won't for the moment as there
are other fish to fry.

It took me about a day to get cmake set up.  Then cmake insisted on
things like libmiter and valgrind by default, which I guess like me
most people probably won't want.  I wonder if you should consider a
reprieve for autotools, at least until the major distros have a cmake
that will build ClamAV, because I think what I had to do would be well
beyond the attention span of most ClamAV users.

When I rebuilt 0.103.3 using autotools to compare with the cmake
build, it somewhat curiously failed to find libmilter although I'd
installed it for the cmake build.  I haven't investigated that yet.

The cmake build was about 20% quicker than using autotools.

HTH

--

73,
Ged.