Hi there,

On Thu, 29 Jul 2021, Paul Kosinski via clamav-users wrote:

My current firewall, which also does inter-LAN routing with iptables
filtering, has six (6) gigabit Ethernet ports on it (including one
4-port Intel card in a PCIe-x4 slot). Which model Raspberry Pi
should I use?

From my experience I would say avoid the 4B if you value stability.

You'd probably want to use USB-Ethernet adaptors.  You could have more
or less as many as you like.  I'm using Ethernet over USB with several
little Pi Zeros.  No actual physical Ethernet hardware, but a network
stack etc. in the applications.  The Zero has no Ethernet port at all
but some of the things we're running on them expect you to have one.
You can comfortably watch movies on the Pi Zero.  It's amazing such a
tiny thing can do that, at least it is when you're as old as I am and
the first CPU youactually handled was a 1MHz (ONE MegaHertz) Motorola
6800, and you had to wear ear defenders for programming it via ASR33.

Without knowing more about the performance you'd need I couldn't say
whether one Pi or another would do the job, but unless you're a very
heavy user of bandwidth I'd be surprised if you'd stress the quad core
1.4 GHz CPU of a Pi 3B+ in a firewall just filtering packets.  To be
honest, the few times that I've run CPU stats on my firewalls, the CPU
usage has been so low that it hasn't really made an impression.  I've
just checked our perimeter firewall, CPU is hovering about 99.6% idle.
As I said this isn't a Pi, it's an ALIX board which is a single-core,
32 bit AMD 'Geode' at 500MHz.  Never seen one crash.

Straying back somewhere near the topic, I think you'd need the Pi4B
with probably 4G of RAM to run clamd or clamscan.  I run clamd on one
but that's all it does.  It crashes occasionally, last time was 6.5
days ago.  My money's on power supply problems.  I don't think it's
temperature related, it was running at about 65C when it crashed last,
it redlines at 85C.  It's supposed to throttle itself when it gets up
there but I haven't any done real stress testing like I have with some
other devices.  Most of our 4Bs are in at least 50% glazed offices and
despite being in England it can get very warm in there sometimes.  In
summer they're often operating in the 70s without any trouble.  We fit
the CPUs with heat sinks, but no fan.

You might be able to run a local ClamAV mirror with only a Pi 3B+ with
its roughly 850M available RAM - I'll give that a try someday.

--

73,
Ged.