On Tue, 27 Jul 2021 16:41:03 +0100
Mark Fortescue via clamav-users <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net> wrote:

> Hi Joel,
>
> One quick answer to why people do not upgrade the OS is that the
> hardware does not support the upgrade (mostly due to memory and x86_64).
>
> I work with embedded systems where the code is very specific to the
> hardware so new hardware is not an option.
>
> For others it may just be the hassle of starting setting up a new OS and
> fixing all the distribution bugs/annoyances that get installed with each
> new OS all over again.
>
> Regards
>       Mark.

In my case, I can't simply upgrade to the latest Debian (or any other distro),
as one of the systems is our home firewall and gateway -- with iptables,
multi-LAN routing (with local DNS), a bit of bridging, encrypted tunnels to
elsewhere, etc. This means we would lose *all* Internet connectivity for who
knows how long if I tried an in-place upgrade.

So the only way to move forward seems to be to rebuild our system on separate
hardware. I have started this on hardware I already mainly have (being retired,
and thus without corporate budget or staff). Then I plan get the new build more
or less working, and hope that I don't have to move cables between the old and
new (and change IP addresses back and forth) more than a few times, thereby
only having a few short periods of time without Internet connectivity.

Finally, building this new system is made even more difficult by the fact that
iptables has recently been replaced by nftables, whose native syntax has been
"improved" to be quite different. There is, at least, a legacy iptables
interface to it, and it may actually be behaviorally identical to the old
iptables for my > 2000 custom rules (built up over a dozen years) which govern
LAN[i] <=> LAN[j] and LAN[i] <=> Internet routing and firewalling.

P.S. The last time I upgraded our firewall, from x86 to x86_64, at least
iptables was quite compatible with ipchains, and Linux as a whole was still in
the early stages of its exponential growth in complexity.