<clamav-users@lists.clamav.net> wrote:

> These two IPs are Anycast addresses, and have been unchanged for well over 2
years. (Anycast addresses don't have to change even if the physical servers
change, that's their point!) They are:

>  104.16.218.84
>  104.16.219.84
That’s what they are for you.  Cloudflare routes you to the closest pop to your
network.  Your mileage may vary

On 20.09.21 20:16, Paul Kosinski via clamav-users wrote:
I thought the IP addresses, being Anycast, were what are routed to the closest
POP.

how's this different from what Joel said?

No matter, when I resolve "database.clamav.net" via various DNS servers,
using TCP to bypass the default local DNS server (as our firewall blocks
outbound UDP port 53 otherwise), I always get these same two IP addresses
as results (see below)

yes, becaue those two IP are anycast... they are router to the nearest POP.

Given that the servers at 1.1.1.1, 8.8.8.8 and 9.9.9.9 are "public", and
likely Anycast, while 71.243.0.12 is local Verizon/FIOS, I suppose that
the Authoritative server and the public (Anycast) servers could
conceivably be distributing different IP addresses depending on who is
querying.  (BIND/named has become incredibly complicated these days.) But
since the two IP addresses are themselves Anycast, what would be the
point?

the point is, not to provide different IPs via anycast DNS but to provide
anycast IPs via any DNS.

In any case, does anyone, anywhere, get IP addresses other than

 104.16.218.84
 104.16.219.84

when resolving "database.clamav.net"?