"how's this different from what Joel said?"

My reading of the following (based on normal English convention)

  > >  104.16.218.84
  > >  104.16.219.84
  > That’s what they are for you.  Cloudflare routes you to the closest pop to
your network.  Your mileage may vary

is that "they" refers to the IP addresses, NOT the DNS names (which hadn't even
been mentioned in my email at this point).

Thus, what I inferred from Joel's statement is that "database.clamav.net" might
resolve to different IPs for other users (which would be weird, given the use
of Anycast). So I tested it the best I could (without traveling a lot, or
setting up VMs in different countries).