Hello again,

On Mon, 17 Oct 2022, Jason Hamrick via clamav-users wrote:
On Mon, 17 Oct 2022, G.W. Haywood wrote:
 On Mon, 17 Oct 2022, Jason Hamrick wrote:

I was testing the scanner in my GCP project, however I seem to be unable to
upgrade and am being limited. Is there an updated package or any way to
update this within the GCP terminal shell?

What are the symptoms of "being limited"?

Yes that is correct, I used the GCP API to install the clamav using the
malware scanner service account exporter via the instructions.

Upon install I was able to scan a clean file and test an "infected" file.
When I went to do another file scan I was rate limited...

PLEASE: what are the symptoms of "being limited" or "rate limited"?

How exactly did you try to perform the scan?

[aside]
If your platform shares an IP address with many other users of the
same service you might well expect to be throttled by the CDN when you
try to update the ClamAV signature database, but this will only affect
your ability to download updated signatures, it won't affect scanning.
To avoid being throttled when you try to download signatures it might
be that you need to pay for an IP address of your own.  I have no idea
how that's arranged for your platform I'm afraid.  And I'm guessing.
Alternatively, maybe you could upload the signatures (or 'diff' files)
to your platform from some other system.  There are lots of ways of
skinning that particular cat.  Don't go off on these tangents until
you have better information to work with than my guesswork.
[/aside]

But again this does *not* prevent you from scanning things using any
signatures which you already have.

Can you run shell commands from some sort of pseudo-terminal?  If so
can you try running

clamconf -n

and let us see the output?  Amongst other things I would expect to see
in the output something about the state of your signature database.

Do you know where the signature database is stored?  Normally it's in
a single directory.  There should be a few files in it.  Three will be
called main, daily and bytecode, all with an extension 'cld' or 'cvd'.
If you have those you should be able to get ClamAV to scan with them.

and am no longer able to run a scan, I am assuming this is the CDN
settings as I am in GCP?

Don't assume things.  Find out.  Not being able to run a scan does not
tell us anything about being throttled by the CDN which distributes the
ClamAV signatures.

The version I am on is 0.103.6 as the log is suggesting I upgrade to the .7
Going through the documentation I was unable to find a method of upgrade or
a command to do this within the GCP Cloud Terminal.

I'm afraid I can't help you with that unless you can tell me more
about the facilities you have to install software on the platform.

What are you actually trying to achieve?

Please don't just say "scan things".  Put some flesh on the bones.

--

73,
Ged.