Doubled clicked where? In the media library? If the song is already in a
playlist, double clicking on it will play the song. If it is you
double-clicking on the song in the Media Library on the left, it will add
the song to the currently open playlist and immediately start playing it as
well, so not sure what the issue is on your end. (I just tested what I said
above on my Windows and Linux machine and it worked on both as I described)

By default, however, the above is only if a song *is not already playing*.
If a song is currently playing and you double click on a new song *in the
playlist*, *that* song will start playing. But if you double-click on a new
song in the *Media Library* while a different song is currently playing,
the song you double-clicked on will be appended to the end of the current
playlist and the current song will continue to play.

*All of the above being said, look in the Clementine settings under
Behavior....you can tailor exactly what you are talking about there in the
suitably named 'Double Clicking A Song Will...' (referring to the Media
Library), directly above 'Double Clicking A Song In The Playlist Will...' -
I assume you want 'Double Clicking A Song Will...' set to 'Always Start
Playing'...*

 - Kody Dagley