If you are getting an OOME there are some JVM flags that can help dump an
error file or heap dump, or run arbitrary commands when an error occurs:

-XX:ErrorFile=./hs_err_pid<pid>.log
-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError
-XX:HeapDumpPath=./java_pid<pid>.hprof
-XX:OnError="<cmd args>;<cmd args>"
-XX:OnOutOfMemoryError="<cmd args>;<cmd args>"

That might help you determine the cause if it is an error condition.