Thanks to all the replies. Yes, the reason indeed was linux killing the
process. cat /var/log/kern.log verified this. There was no exception logged
because there was no exception/error. Now tracking down if I'm simply too
low on memory or if the app has a memory leak, but that's a different
topic.

Thanks again!