I spent a couple more hours working with Monroe and Figwheel. I still can't
figure out how to use the REPL. After trying to evaluate a few expressions,
Emacs gets completely locked up spewing the following error message 1000s
of times:

clojure.lang.ExceptionInfo: Arguments to require must be quoted. Offending
spec: (symbol (namespace (quote clojure.repl/pst))) at line 1 <cljs repl>
{:file "<cljs repl>", :line 1, :column 5, :root-source-info {:source-type
:fragment, :source-form (do (require (symbol (namespace (quote
clojure.repl/pst)))) (clojure.repl/pst *e))}, :tag :cljs/analysis-error}

I've switched back to inf-clojure and Figwheel with the following config:

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/third-party/inf-clojure/")
(require 'inf-clojure)
(setf inf-clojure-lein-cmd "lein run -m clojure.main")
(add-hook 'clojure-mode-hook #'inf-clojure-minor-mode)
(add-hook 'inf-clojure-mode-hook #'eldoc-mode)

That seems to work, but I see something like this in the minibuffer every
time I move the cursor, with or without eldoc mode enabled:

def: (:arglists^[[0m
  ^[[36m3^[[0m  ^[[36m(clojure.core/meta^[[0m
  ^[[36m4^[[0m  ^[[36m(clojure.core/resolve^[[0m
  ^[[36m5^[[0m  ^[[36m(clojure.core/read-string "def")

Does "lein run -m clojure.main" create a socket REPL?

I followed the instructions for inf-clojure for a "Clojure Command Line
Socket REPL"
(https://github.com/clojure-emacs/inf-clojure#clojure-command-line-socket-repl),

but then (fig-start) is not found.

I followed the instructions for inf-clojure for a "Leiningen Socket REPL"
(https://github.com/clojure-emacs/inf-clojure#leiningen-socket-repl), and
that produces results like with "lein run -m clojure.main"; it works, but I
get the "eldoc" garbage in the minibuffer. AFAICT, the eldoc problem
doesn't occur until I run (cljs-repl).

Any insight greatly appreciated.