I recently stumbled across this little example by Ghadi Shayban
<https://www.reddit.com/r/Clojure/comments/7x4wfy/new_clojurians_ask_anything/du5v3v6/>

that helped *both* prepl and tap click for me:

$ clj -Sdeps '{:deps {org.clojure/clojure {:mvn/version "1.10.0-beta2"}}}'
Clojure 1.10.0-beta2
user=> ;; launch a nested PREPL that steals this REPL’s *in* / *out* streams
user=> (clojure.core.server/io-prepl)
:bar
{:tag :ret, :val ":bar", :ns "user", :ms 0, :form ":bar"}
(defn my-broken-function [x]
  (tap> x)
  (prn "some output")
  (tap> x)
  :bar)
{:tag :ret, :val "#'user/my-broken-function", :ns "user", :ms 223, :form
"(defn my-broken-function [x]\n  (tap> x)\n  (prn \"some output\")\n  (tap>
x)\n  :bar)"}

(my-broken-function 24)
{:tag :out, :val "\"some output\"\n"}
{:tag :ret, :val ":bar", :ns "user", :ms 2, :form "(my-broken-function 24)"}
{:tag :tap, :val "24"}
{:tag :tap, :val "24"}

:repl/quit
nil