I am pretty sure I'm using Java 8. I do have both Java 8 and Java 11
installed, but the environment it's built with:

$ java -version
java version "1.8.0_162"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.162-b12, mixed mode)

$ echo $JAVA_HOME

/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_162.jdk/Contents/Home

Same environment, just changing Clojure versions. I assume there's a change
between Clojure 1.9 and 1.10 Java interop that explains the difference in
behaviour?

But AOT'ing using the wrong version of Java and deploying backwards
certainly seems like it fits the problem perfectly, given the change in
ByteBuffer between 8 and 9. Will further investigate.

Cheers. And thanks, Alex.