On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 8:38 PM, Stuart Sierra
<the.stuart.sie...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 16, 8:14 am, Rich Hickey <richhic...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sorry to jump in late, but one problem with seek is that it is a
>> homophone of seq.
>>
>> Did anyone consider ffilter or find-first?
>
> I thought "find-first" was too long, since it's almost as long as
> (first (filter ...)
>
> "ffilter" looks funny, especially in a proportional font.
>
> Others I considered: find1, filter1, select1, pick, detect, spot,
> hit, ...

While considering suffixed names, what about firstp as inspired by condp?

I personally like how the "first" part makes it clear that we are
returning a single thing, rather than a collection or seq, and that it
is the one closest to the head - the one we are going to, well, find
first.

That said, as you might imagine, I rather like find-first myself. I
don't think it is too much to type. I may be biased here, considering
my non-american keyboard layout, but saving a parenthesis for filter
is more of a win than a few alphabetic characters.

To conclude, I would prefer find-first as I believe the clarity is
worth the extra characters.

--
Venlig hilsen / Kind regards,
Christian Vest Hansen.